Thursday, March 29, 2007

A day and a half....

#2 had a streak of tyrant in him this morning. He decided that he is the boss. He is, of course, wrong. And he did not accept that easily. He wasn't being outright disobedient, but he was defiantely determined that he would do things in his own timing - which was just this side of never.

For instance:

"#2, in a few minutes it will be time to get dressed to go to Mimi's house."

(A few minutes pass).

"#2, it's time to get dressed." (I hand him his shorts and t-shirt and return to Mt. St. Laundry, which I was folding laundry in my bedroom.)

A few minutes later, he is in my room in his pajama shorts, no shirt. "Mom, did you know....?"

"No. I didn't know that. Where are your clothes? I asked you to dress."

"I'm gonna."

Now, he's almost five years old. He's been taking his pants off and putting them back on at lest 10 times a day for the past two years. He can dress himself - occasionally he needs help with a shirt (tangled or backwards) but that is all. However, his knee is still bandaged and sore and I thought that might be making things difficult, so I said, "If you need help, bring me your clothes, and I'll help you."

He went back to his room - and didn't return, so I went hunting for him. He was playing with cars and wearing his underwear.

I could write out the rest of the story, but suffice it to say that it took nearly AN HOUR for him to dress himself. And the only reason he finished was because he heard the garage door go up and knew I was loading the car. If he'd protested further, he'd be going with me to the meeting I was going to in whatever he was wearing instead of going to play at Gram's house while I went to the meeting alone.

I know that he was 10 days late for his own birthday, but I didn't expect the trend to continue.

I'm tired. I'm going to bed. I have, by the way, done two of the six weeks of Bible study homework that I needed to do. I'll tackle week seven in the morning.

No comments: